Job Posting for El CENTRO de Igualdad y Derechos
Title: Communications Organizer (part-time .75 FTE)
El CENTRO de Igualdad y Derechos is an immigrants’ rights and workers’ justice organization based in Albuquerque which combines direct action organizing, policy advocacy, leadership development, and strategic communications to protect and advance the rights of low-wage workers.
About the position:
The Communications Organizer will be responsible for assisting with the development and implementation of a communications strategy that furthers El CENTRO’s mission, supports El CENTRO’s programmatic work and campaigns, and has a positive impact on the issue environment regarding immigration and issues impacting Latino immigrant communities in Albuquerque.
The Communications Coordinator will work collaboratively with the organizing team and will work closely with the executive director.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Developing and disseminating messaging, including talking points, statements, and social media, whether proactive or reactive;
- Reviewing and researching policy, talking points, and media strategy from national immigrants’ rights coalitions and networks;
- Drafting/editing/sending media materials;
- Developing strategies to lift up the stories of El CENTRO’s members.
- Assisting with the organization of press events, including developing messaging, identifying and preparing speakers, drafting and sending advisories, contacting media, and media follow-up;
- Coordinating the pitching of stories to media outlets— including identifying the appropriate media, developing story ideas and angles, as well as identifying and preparing El CENTRO’s members as spokespeople
- Drafting/editing/finding messengers for op‐ed/and LTE’s;
- Posting on social media;
- Tracking and archiving El CENTRO’s presence in the media in addition to local and national coverage pertinent to El CENTRO’s work;
- Coordinating staff and stakeholders to develop broader media strategy– including branding, materials, web presence;
- Work with staff, leaders, and other stakeholders to form effective messages for campaigns.
- Strategize and develop the social media content and implementation of social media campaigns with organizing and policy staff and other stakeholders.
2. Media Relations:
- Coordinate staff and members to act as spokesperson for the organization for press briefings and media interviews.
- Assist with the coordination of press conferences and other earned media events.
- Coordinate media efforts with staff, leaders, board members and coalition partners locally and nationally.
- Cultivate relationships with
mainstream, Spanish media, and social media with the objective of expanding coverage of immigration and immigrants’ rights issues.
- Maintain and expand the roster of press contacts within the El CENTRO database.
- Coordinate and conduct basic media and spokesperson training for El CENTRO’s staff and leaders.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Has demonstrated a commitment to social justice, immigrants’ rights, and/or workers’ rights.
- Minimum three years of experience in public relations, media and/or community outreach.
- Experience and knowledge of social media.
- Excellent bilingual writing and speaking skills (English and Spanish).
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment.
Salary and Benefits
Salary ranges commensurate with experience. Benefits include paid time off; health-care/dental; and a flexible work schedule.
Please submit a resume, a writing sample in Spanish, along with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 21st. Incomplete applications will not be considered.